The 2016 Savannah Pre-Apprentice Program begins June 6th!
Applications are still being accepted but will be placed on a waiting list.
The City of Savannah and the SCMPD, through partnerships with local businesses, provide paid summer jobs to Savannah area youth.
“It serves as a “Game-Changer” in the lives of many of the participants!” – Chief Joseph H. Lumpkin, Sr.
- Participants are selected by the SCMPD’s Savannah Impact Program.
- Referrals are made by Chatham County Juvenile Court, the Dept. of Juvenile Justice, Savannah Chatham County Public School System, and other agencies on a case-by-case basis.
- The goal is to provide job training, life skills, and academic assistance to young people ages 14-17.
- It’s a seven-week summer program. June 6 through July 29
- Participants are paid $7.25/hour and worked an average of 20-hours per week.
- Participants are also paid during their life skills, job skills and academic training.
- All participants must be a City of Savannah or Chatham County resident.
- Read more about the program’s goals, components and administration by click here.
- The Savannah Pre-Apprentice Program began in 2013, the brainchild of City Manager Stephanie Cutter
- Click here to print a 2016 Application Savannah PreApprentice Program Form
“We are providing the services and tools to help every child. We are here for all kids!” – City Manager Stephanie Cutter
Fore more information you can also contact:
“Instead of me being in the streets doing wrong stuff, it helped me be at work making my own money instead of being out here trying to break in somebody’s house or do something and try and make money that way. It helped me make money the right way.” – Dexter Banks, 2015 Participant
Savannah Pre-Apprentice Program Business Partnerships
In 2015 more than a dozen Savannah and Chatham County businesses employed more than 60 youth.
The 2015 business partners included: Belford’s, City of Savannah, Chatham Personnel, Coca-Cola, Colonial Oil, NorthPoint Hospitality, River Street Inn, Savannah Area Chamber, Savannah Lodging, Thomas & Hutton, Thunderbolt Marine, Visit Savannah, and Wade Law Firm.
“In the beginning we were concerned about getting involved because we have never done anything quite like this. We were concerned about them being productive or getting in the way, maybe, but we were totally wrong with that concept. I would have to say the youth showed up to work every day, on time, completed the task, never asked to leave early, and never complained about a thing.” – Rick Terrell, Coca-Cola Bottling Co.
If your business would like to participate in this program which directly improves the lives of Savannah-Chatham youth, download our Savannah Pre-Apprentice Program Business Partnership form by clicking here.
Businesses, for more information contact:
Mr. Jonas Subaar
Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Dept.
Management Analyst/Savannah Pre-Apprentice Business Liaison
201 Habersham Street
Savannah, GA 31401
912.525.3100 (ext. 1456)